I am telling you right now, Fiesta has been waiting a long time to be in a position to select the Hawkeyes!!! The last time Iowa went to a BCS game was the Orange. Let me tell ya, there were Hawk fans everywhere! The Dolphin Stadium was packed 90% with Hawk fans. Fiesta wants a sell out crowd and they know picking the Hawks it would be sold out in minutes. Big fan-base in Arizona and a BCS bid will make a lot more travel that usually don't. I went to the ASU game a few years back and I was shocked how many Hawk fans were at that game... The only thing keep Iowa out of the Fiesta is the BCS poll. Iowa needs to be in the top 14 in order to be selected for a BCS game. It would help by cheering against the following teams and of course a convincing win by the Hawks vs the Goophers!
8) LSU - The SEC already have their 2 BCS teams in but LSU is ranked ahead of the Hawks.
9) Pittsburgh - They still have to play Cincy. Only one Big East team will get in so might as well as make in Cincy and knock Pitt out of the Top 14.
10) Ohio State - It would help us get a share of the Big Ten!
11) Oregon - It seems their luster has worn off but we need Arizona to win. AZ lost last week to Cal really stung!
12) Oklahoma State - This might be the biggest. Boone has deep pockets and connections. One more loss to either CO or OK would keep the Cowgirls out of the BCS!
13) Iowa - Just WIN baby! We need another big win like last years 55-0 win. We have two big prospects visiting this weekend in #1 overall ranked prospect OL Seantrel Henderson and #5 ranked TE C.J. Fiedorowicz. I think CJ will commit to the Hawks but I give Seantrel a 5% chance...
14) Penn State - A lot of talk of Fiesta taking PSU over the Hawks but I just don't buy it. Even though head-2-head doesn't matter much just look at how they got crushed at home vs OSU and we almost beat OSU in the Shoe. Enough said there but a loss to MSU this weekend would take them out of the BCS for sure!
15) Virginia Tech - They have no chance...
16) Wisconsin - OK they beat up on Michigan that has been spiraling out of control. Big Deal. PSU would be taken ahead of Wisky. Still a loss at NW would definitely take them out of the BCS.
The other thing Iowa has going for them is their recent Bowl record. Last year they were the only Big Ten team to win a Bowl game. And they won convincingly over South Carolina who most analysts thought was too fast for the Hawks. Blah Blah Blah. We hear that every year yet since the Orange Bowl:
- Crushed Ron Zook and his Florida Gators in the Outback
- Was taking it to LSU in Cap1 before they inserted Jamarcus Russell and took the lead at the end of the game. Last second TD from Tate to Holloway for the win!
- Got screwed by the refs throughout the rematch with Florida in the Outback. We battled through it all and had a chance with an onside kick at the end. Hawks recover the kick yet are called miraculously offside. Video showed it was yet another bogus call.
- Took it to Texas in there own backyard at the Alamo. Another controversial call took away a TD pass and Texas took the lead at the end of the game.
- Outback yet again vs South Carolina. It was nothing but a slaughter by the Hawks.
January 1, 2004 Outback Bowl W Florida 37 17
January 1, 2005 Capital One Bowl W LSU 30 25
January 2, 2006 Outback Bowl L Florida 24 31
December 29, 2006 Alamo Bowl L Texas 24 26
January 1, 2009 Outback Bowl W South Carolina 31 10